Thursday, September 6, 2012

Wiston Papers


I don't do much, but I speak well.

President Barack Obama gives a great speech.  He’s charismatic, he’s stirring, he’s inspirational.  You could see that Thursday at the 2012 Democratic Party National Convention.  Unfortunately for America he’s a poor president and his words ring hollow.  Let's examine his rhetoric and deeds.


Four years ago he said at the Democratic National Convention. “Tonight, more Americans are out of work and more are working harder for less. More of you have lost your homes and even more are watching your home values plummet. More of you have cars you can't afford to drive, credit card bills you can't afford to pay, and tuition that's beyond your reach.


That was true in 2008 and it’s still true today.  Obama failed to make things better.


Four years ago Mr. Obama said “Ours is a promise that says government cannot solve all our problems, but what it should do is that which we cannot do for ourselves - protect us from harm and provide every child a decent education; keep our water clean and our toys safe; invest in new schools and new roads and new science and technology.”


That was his promise 2008 and he repeated it this year. Why?  Because Obama failed to make things better.


Four years Mr. Obama said,  “I will stop giving tax breaks to corporations that ship jobs overseas, and I will start giving them to companies that create good jobs right here in America.”


That was his promise 2008 and he repeated it  this year.  Why?  Because  Obama failed to make things better.


Four years ago Mr. Obama said,  “I will eliminate capital gains taxes for the small businesses and the start-ups that will create the high-wage, high-tech jobs of tomorrow.  I will cut taxes - cut taxes - for 95% of all working families. Because in an economy like this, the last thing we should do is raise taxes on the middle-class.”


That was his promise 2008 and he repeated it this year. Why? Because  Obama failed to make things better.


Four years ago Mr. Obama said  “I will tap our natural gas reserves, invest in clean coal technology, and find ways to safely harness nuclear power. I'll help our auto companies re-tool, so that the fuel-efficient cars of the future are built right here in America. I'll make it easier for the American people to afford these new cars.”


That was his promise 2008 and he repeated it  this year.  Why?  Because  Obama failed to make things better.


Four years ago Mr. Obama promised  “Michelle and I are only here tonight because we were given a chance at an education. And I will not settle for an America where some kids don't have that chance. I'll invest in early childhood education. I'll recruit an army of new teachers, and pay them higher salaries and give them more support. And in exchange, I'll ask for higher standards and more accountability. And we will keep our promise to every young American - if you commit to serving your community or your country, we will make sure you can afford a college education.”


That was his promise 2008 and he repeated it  this year.  Why?  Because he failed to do that in the past four years.


Four years ago Mr. Obama promised this “Now, many of these plans will cost money, which is why I've laid out how I'll pay for every dime - by closing corporate loopholes and tax havens that don't help America grow. But I will also go through the federal budget, line by line, eliminating programs that no longer work and making the ones we do need work better and cost less - because we cannot meet twenty-first century challenges with a twentieth century bureaucracy.”


That was his promise 2008 and he repeated it  this year.  Why?  Because he failed to do that in the past four years.


Four years ago Mr. Obama promised to bring change to Washington.  “You have shown what history teaches us - that at defining moments like this one, the change we need doesn't come from Washington. Change comes to Washington. Change happens because the American people demand it - because they rise up and insist on new ideas and new leadership, a new politics for a new time.”


That was his promise 2008 but today our nation’s capital is more partisan than ever and the Washington's modus operandi is more entrenched than ever.


Mr. Obama fulfilled one campaign promise---he pushed through major health care legislation.  One kept promise; so many broken ones.


The president gives a great speech but does not deliver.   His words soar; but his promises crash.   He raises our hopes; but gives us despair.  

Four years ago I voted for change and cast my ballot for Mr. Obama.  I’m still waiting.  So this year I’m giving my support to Mitt Romney.

Will Governor Romney do a better job?  I don’t know.  But I’ll give him a chance.  I already gave Mr. Obama an opportunity and he’s shown what he’s capable of.  Nothing.


Steve Coon
September 06, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment