Sunday, May 13, 2012

Wiston Papers


Mother's Day 2012

On this day all of us have memories of our mothers and how they have shaped our lives.
Here are just a few of the wonderful ones I have:

When I was in grade school, mom threw elaborate (or so they seemed at the time) birthday parties and Valentine Day’s celebrations.  I loved them.  Other holidays including Christmas were equally wonderful.
When I was in High School, mom persuaded me one St. Patrick’s Day to wear green earrings.  She always had a theatrical air about her and obviously thought I was strong enough to endure the inevitable teasing.  I wasn’t sure at first.  But it was fun.  I’m glad she convinced me.
Mom later was involved in the Community Theater of hour hometown; starring in a few comedies and working behind the scenes in other productions.  It was one of her great pleasures.  She also encouraged me to join the speech club and I appeared in a couple of plays.  I thank her for that.
Another joy was my mother’s love of poetry.  She had an exceptional memory and for decades gave numerous readings in which she recited scores of long and short poems.  She helped me memorize Abou Ben Adhem for a required English class assignment.  Despite my shyness I managed.  Years later during a series of video oral histories with mom, I mentioned that I could only remember the first line.  She immediately picked up from where my memory failed and recited the rest flawlessly.  Amazing feat and wonderful memory.

There are many, many others I could mention.  But I’ll keep them in a special place in my heart.  Instead I welcome thoughts of yours on this day of love and remembrance...Mother’s Day 2012.


Steve Coon
May 13, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment