Thursday, May 3, 2012


Wiston Papers


I Love Sports, Really.

    A friend suggested the other day that I should “really be a more opened minded about sports journalism.”  OK.  I can do that.  At least about sports.  Here goes.
I love sports.  Football is my favorite.  I played in high school, not well, but I enjoyed the physical contact and the occasional success I had as a fullback and linebacker.  Those were good years.  Even today I try to see as many college and professional games as possible.
I also ran track.  I was a sprinter and hurdler.  Back then you had both high hurdles and low.  I was too short for the high.  My friend Gene and I competed with almost equal success.  He had excellent form over the hurdles; I had better speed between.   Each of us crossed the finish line first often enough to claim that we were equally good.  
There is nothing that can compare with the beauty, grace and all-around athletic skill as gymnastics.  It is an absolute joy to watch the mastery displayed by men and women across a variety of events that place a premium on strength and flexibility.  Figure skating is equally beautiful.
I’m glued to the TV every four years for the World Cup.  I sit through hours of soccer waiting for that rare goal and the excitement that erupts as a result.  The endurance of the players is remarkable.
Basketball is another game I enjoy...especially during March Madness.  The game combines strength, skill and stamina.  
Over the years I have either watched or tried my hand at contests ranging from billiards and bowling to golf and tennis.  If I had both space and spousal permission, I would have a pool table in our house.  That’s not going to happen anytime soon, however.  And any discussion of a bowling alley in the basement...let’s not go there.
    I’m marking off the days on my calendar until the Olympic Games 2012 in London.  For me track and field competition is the highlight.  But I’ll try to catch a little of every one of the 26 sports in more than 30 categories.  I always wanted to learn Judo (an Olympic event), but never did.  I can’t explain my fascination with this sport, but I really like it.
    There are many other sports worth mentioning but space precludes that.  So I can’t comment on baseball.  But then it’s just a bunch of guys standing around on grass for six months waiting for something happen.  And poker on ESPN?  What's with that?
    Sorry.  I promised to be nice so I better stop here. 


Steve Coon
May 03, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment