Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Wiston Papers

What to make of such despicable behavior?

John plopped unhappily into his chair for our weekly coffee and I awaited his opening salvo.
“Boys, we have two fine specials today,” waitress Beverly cheerfully promoted.  “Guatemala Antigua and Kenya Double-A.  What can I do you for?”
“The Guatemala sounds inviting,” I replied.
“I’ll go with the African brew after this week’s public disgrace,” grumbled John.
“I agree completely, John.  It was despicable.”
“Absolute betrayal of public confidence.”
“Truly outrageous,” I concurred but somewhat consoled by the pleasant flavor of my Guatemala Antigua.
“How do men like that think they can get away with such actions?”
“Good question.  It will always catch up to them,” I shook my head.
“There’s simply no acceptable excuse.”
“It’s disgraceful and unforgivable,” I agreed but enjoying the exquisite sensation on my tongue.
“How can they face their wives?”
“They always seem to stand by their man,” I wondered.
“We have such high expectations of these guys and then they fail us,”  John shook his head and sipped his Kenya coffee slowly.
“There must be some answer,” I hoped.
“You’re right.  What an embarrassment.”
“The blatant disrespect for us is insulting,” I mustered outrage.
“We should clean house and start over from scratch.”
“Well, we had our chance last week but blew it,” I now complained.
“What do you mean?” John stopped in mid-swallow and looked at me.
“The election last week, of course,” I clarified.  “We could have elected a new Congress, President and people who would not have appointed cheaters like CIA Director David Petraeus.”
“What are you talking about?” puzzled John.
“Petraeus, of course.  He admitted he had an extra-marital affair and resigned as CIA director,”  I stared at John.  “What were you talking about?”
“I didn’t know about Petraeus,” admitted John.  “I’m complaining about the pitiful loss by the Chicago Bears to the Houston Texans in Sunday’ Night’s NFL football game.”
“What?”  as my jaw dropped open.  “You’re outraged by a...a...a football game instead of a possible breach of national security and betrayal of public trust?”
“Well, the breach in the Bears defensive line was certainly a betrayal,”  John groaned.
“Men will be men,” Beverly said as she dropped off the check and refilled our cups for the final time.  “They always dissappoint.”
“But...but...,”  We both attempted to interject.
“They should man up,” argued Beverly. “You fellas can show a good example by improving your behavior right now by slapping down a decent tip for a change.”

Steve Coon
November 13, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment