Thursday, November 22, 2012

Wiston Papers


Happy Thanksgiving Day 2012

I’ve worked and lived in Europe, Asia, Africa and Latin America during my professional career.  And I enjoy the travel, exposure to different cultures, and interaction with a variety of wonderful people. I understand why people around the world are proud of their homelands.   Here are a few reasons I'm thankful for mine.

I’m thankful for the abundance of natural resources that fuel our economic growth, feed our citizens, clothe our children, and provide housing and safe shelter.
I’m thankful for our democracy that can survive the acrimony of protracted partisan political debates with  a peaceful transition between governments and elected officials.
I’m thankful for our  military men and women who endure physical and psychological hardships for long periods away from home in order to keep America safe for the rest of us.
I’m thankful for the quality and availability of health care--especially for our elderly and most desperately ill.
I’m thankful for our schools and the teachers who spend long hours with little pay trying to inspire the next generation of Americans with the social values and intellectual skills necessary to maintain this nation’s preeminence.
I’m thankful for our police officers, fire fighters and other emergency personnel who sacrifice their holidays and weekends to protect our lives and property.
I’m thankful for the countless Americans who are willingly volunteer to travel thousands of miles to help their fellow residents who are suffering from the catastrophes of natural and man-made disasters like 9/11, Katrina and Sandy.
As we give thanks this year for all blessings, let’s remember all those Americans who are hard at work on this holiday to make sure that the rest of us can enjoy the day.  
America is a great nation for many reasons.  Not the least of which is the spirit of our families, friends and neighbors.

These a few of the reasons I’m thankful.  I know each of you has your own list.


Steve Coon
November 21, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment