Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Wiston Papers


Making Your Mark

     “I’ve decided to become famous,” John leaned back in his chair.
“You’re already legendary,” our waitress, Beverly,  smiled as she poured our coffee and walked away.
“Seriously, I’ve been following the news and I see a successful lifestyle here.  Notoriety and nuttiness...that’s my new motto.  I can even turn it into a TV show”
“Well, I think  you’re already have way there,” I noted.
“Here’s what I’m talking about,”  John sipped and said.  “There’s Sarah Palin...”
“You betcha...” I shook my head.
“She was governor of Alaska, Republican Vice Presidential candidate and then decided to star in her own  TV show.”
“And how’s that workin’ for her?,” I commented.
“And her daughter, the dancer Bristol Palin, has a TV show about herself and her son, Tripp.”
“Must watch TV,’’ I grimmaced.
“Oh, and Sarah’s husband,Todd, will soon be on NBC in a show, too.  Something about military exercises...”  John pondered.
“Gives patriotism a whole new meaning...” I motioned to Beverly for a refill hoping she had something stronger than cream and sugar.
“Look, John,” I leaned forward, “There are lots of celebrities who don’t do stuff like this.  Some famous people are doing good things,” I said confidently.
“Like who?”  John challenged me.
“Give me a minute,” I panicked.
“Here’s what I mean,” John pressed on, “John Edwards cheats on his dying wife, uses campaign money to hide the affair, then skates when he’s acquitted by a good old boy jury.”
“Maybe he was innocent of the specific charges,”  I suggested.
“Then Roger Clemmons takes illegal drugs, lies to Congress and he gets away with it because he can throw a fast ball,”  John said confidently.
“Well, it was just a ‘he-said-he-said’ trial.  I don’t think there was really any real evidence,”  I attempted to clarify.
“Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner doesn’t pay any taxes then he’s given the job making sure the rest of us do,”  John sipped confidently.
“Well, there’s always an exemption,”  I moaned.  
“Lindsay Lohan is in and out of jail all the time for drinking...
“She is a spirited one that’s true,” I conceded.
“Mel Gibson and Charlie Sheen are always saying creepy things.”
“Yes, men of choice words,” I shook my head.
“Look, John, these famous folks were all either accused of illegal acts or criticized for bad behavior.  You don’t want to be bad to be famous,” I cautioned. “There are lots of ways to make your mark.”
“Like what?”  John wondered.
“You could help humanity, you could find people in need, you could...”
“Great idea, “John replied surprisingly. “Yes, that’s it.  I’ve found my calling.  I’ll lead a life of absolute virtue and ethics.  I’ll devote all my energy in selfless sacrifice and commitment to my neighbors, community and nation.  I’ll seek conciliation and compromise...and avoid bickering and rancor.  Yes, yes, I’ll deny all temptation and live frugally and forthrightly.”
“Really?,”  I stammered in astonishment.  “You’re going to become a monk?”
“Heavens, no,” John rose leaving me with the bill,  “I’m going to run for Congress.”

Steve Coon
June 26, 2012











No comments:

Post a Comment